Tristan Garner is continously proving why he should stand atop the French electronic scene. Tristan’s production style is anything but standard with his rock/punk infused elements. His simple motto “Fuck trends and be yourself” is captured beautifully here. Such style brought tremendous success with hits “Overdrive,” “Punx,” and most recently “Machine Gun” which were released on his homemade Xtra Life label, a subdivision of Strictly Rhythm.
Brolic Beats had the opportunity to catch up with the French sensation and had him answer a few of our questions. We learned of his biggest influence – Daft Punk. We also got his opinion on how he sees EDM evolving over the next few years. The future of his productions as well as his Xtra Life imprint were also discussed. Check past the break for the full interview as well as Tristan’s “X Mix”!
Brolic Beats: Born and raised in France, Daft Punk surely had to be a big influence on your productions. What other producers did you see as influences?
Tristan Garner: Yeah even today Daft Punk are my biggest inspiration and I can’t wait for their new album! As a kid I was into the nu-metal and rock scene until I bought Daft Punk’s “Homework”. It really changed my life. The UK big beat scene from the late 1990s and early 2000s also influenced me: FatBoy Slim, Chemical Brothers, Prodigy to name a few. And of course classic metal bands like Linkin Park, Manson, Korn, Slipknot…
BB: Do you see EDM evolving over the next year or two? How will you continue to stay innovative?
TG: EDM is always evolving, I’d like to think the future of EDM is a big fusion between the global pop/rock/metal scene and the current electro-house scene, let’s call it electro-punk! Skrillex collaborating with Korn, Deadmau5 with my Chemical Romance, or even Justice describing their new album as a “progressive rock record”.
BB: What’s the single most rewarding thing as a DJ and producer? Could you see yourself living any other career?
TG: By far, the best moment is when I’m in a club or festival, I play my new track for the first time and the people get crazy. It’s an unbelievable feeling. I could spend my entire life in the studio just to have this 30 seconds moment of rush on stage. Better than sex!
BB: What do you have in store for the rest of 2013 in terms of productions? Will you be pursuing more collaborations with other artistes and DJs in the near future, or looking to churn out more original work?
TG: I’ve got tons of unreleased tracks including club tracks but also album tunes. I just need to figure out the best way to release each of them. Every single song is really important for me, and I want to make sure it’s the right timing.
BB: What can we expect from your label Xtra Life in the near future? Will you be recruiting any more talent to the team?
TG: I’m super proud of XtraLife and its future shines bright! We have just hired 2 new guys who are working hard on the promo and the communication, and we have signed 3 new talented kids. Their releases are already in the tube, and I can’t wait to reveal them. We are also planning some cool XtraLife parties around the globe! Stay tuned!
BB: Who is on your list of producers to look out for this coming year and why?
TG: I’m keeping an eye on Justin Michael, Human , and a new french guy called RavenKis. They are not even 20 years old and have already incredible skills in the studio.
Big thank you to Tristan for taking the time to do this interview with us. Tristan recently released handed out his “X Mix” which features a ton of his massive bootlegs and edits. Looking for more Tristan? Be sure to check out and download Volume 1 of his “Bootlegs, Edits, and Random Cheese” bootleg pack!
02. Tristan Garner – Punx + Daft Punk – Harder Better Faster Stronger (Acapella)
03. Tristan Garner – Meteor + Empire Of The Sun – Walking On A Dream (Acapella)
04. Justice Vs Daddys Groove – DVNO Scorpio (Tristan Garner Bootleg)
05. Tristan Garner – Overdrive + Supermode Tool.
06. W&W Vs Chemical Brothers Vs Qulinez – Here We Code (Tristan Garner Bootleg)
07. Albin Myers R3hab & Quintino Vs Pink Floyd & Prydz – Summer Education (Tristan Garner 2K13 Reboot)
08. Dada Life VS The White Stripes Vs Showtek – Kick Out The Epic… (Tristan Garner SuperEgo Edit)
09. Chuckie & Junxterjack Vs Samuele Sartini & Mattias G80S Feat. Franz Ferdinand – Take Me Noise (Tristan Garner Megaboot)
10. Deniz Koyu Vs New Order – Blue Rage Monday (Tristan Garner Bootleg)
11. Tristan Garner – Rage Again + Daft Punk – Technologic (Acapella)
12. Dizzee Rascal Vs Jordy Dazz & MightyFools – Bonker Drums (Tristan Garner Bootleg)
13. Zedd Vs Knife Party – Internet Fails (Tristan Garner 3310 Troller)
14. Tristan Garner – Sloan
15. Nirvana – Smell Like Teen Spirit (Tristan Garner Intro Mix)
16. Tom Fall Vs Nari & Milani + Nick Terranova + Oasis – Wonder Rock (Tristan Garner Bootleg)
17. Tristan Garner – MachineGun
18. Ansol Vs Dzeko & Torres Vs The Rolling Stones – Y3Ah Satisfaction (Tristan Garner Bootleg)
19. Daddys Groove & Tv Noise Vs Lenny Kravitz – Are You Gonna Go Stellar (Tristan Garner Bootleg)
20. Porter Robinson & Matzo Vs Daft Punk – One More Easy Time (Tristan Garner Bootleg)
21. Tristan Garner – Digital Rocker